Position Title: Pollution Policy Advisor
Location of Job: Toronto, ON
Application Deadline: 9/22/2008 by 9 am
Environmental Defence (www.environmentaldefence.ca) protects the environment and human health. We research. We educate. We go to court when we have to. All in order to ensure clean air, clean water and thriving ecosystems nationwide, and to bring a halt to Canada’s contribution to climate change.
Environmental Defence's Toxic Nation program shows that people across Canada, young and old, are polluted with a wide range of harmful chemicals. Many of the chemicals are found in everyday products. Since 2005, Toxic Nation has garnered major media and public profile, and has successfully pushed for significant changes to public policy at the provincial and national levels.
We seek a highly committed individual to provide scientific and policy advice for this program.
The Pollution Policy Advisor will work closely with the Policy Director, the Toxic Nation program coordinator, and other staff.
- Conducting research on specific chemicals and advising other NGOs and governments on policy
- Providing recommendations on priority chemicals identified for regulatory attention at the federal and provincial levels
- Liaising with government officials, scientific experts and other stakeholders
- Reviewing and editing Toxic Nation reports and materials
- Conducting outreach to scientific experts and stakeholders
- Job location will be Toronto and Ottawa, with some limited travel.
Environmental Defence is an equal-opportunity employer. We thank all candidates in advance for their application, but only those contacted for an interview will receive a reply.
- post-secondary degree in the sciences
- experience researching scientific literature, ideally with regard to toxicology and human health
- excellent writing and presentation skills
- familiarity with policymaking processes, including government consultations
- bilingualism would be an asset
- previous non-profit work an asset
- well-organized and able to juggle multiple tasks
- ability to work in a team environment
- commitment to strengthening environmental protection and improving human health
This is a one-year full-time contract salaried position, with the possibility for extension. Job location will be Toronto or Ottawa, with some limited travel. The successful candidate is eligible for Environmental Defence’s
Benefits Package after a 3 month probation period.
How to Apply:
Please direct your application by email only,
Attn: Mary Ford, Office Manager, by 9 am Monday, September 22, 2008.
No phone calls or mail please.