Morguard: Corporate Responsibility Specialist: (8 Month Contract)
Location (to be confirmed): Mississauga, ON
Application Deadline: February 6, 2009
In the spring of 2009 Morguard will have completed in-depth research and analysis on the environmental, social and governance (ESG) impacts, practices and performance of the real estate sector. This research will cumulate in a comprehensive Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability (CR) Strategy that aligns with Morguard's overall corporate strategy. Reporting to the Director, Strategic Initiatives the individual will build on this research and drive the creation of the implementation plan for Morguard's CR strategy (incl. costing, timing, etc.) as well as play a key role in the implementation of the chosen CR initiatives.
Strong knowledge of the many facets of corporate responsibility and sustainability; strong implementation skills; and experience in project management, budgeting, research, change management and results-focused execution techniques.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop the implementation plan for Morguard's CR Strategy and facilitate the implementation for Morguard's CR Strategy. Including:
- Engage employees and others to whom CR commitments apply and in conjunction with them develop Business Plans for each commitment/initiative to determine the accountability and decision-making structure for the initiative; what human, financial and other resources are needed to carry out the initiative; and the timing and milestones of the initiative.
- Set measurable targets and identify performance measures for initiatives. Develop measurement and tracking tools in order to measure MIL's performance and track MIL's improvement against chosen social and environmental indicators, both as a company and as a property manager. Baseline current performance on relevant metrics / key performance indicators.
- Design and conduct CR training.
- Establish mechanisms for addressing problematic behaviour around CR compliance.
- Create internal communications plan and draft internal communication documents of all types for a variety of audiences (e.g. articles, briefing notes, presentations, research précis etc.).
- Assist in laying foundation for eventual verification, reporting and external communication of CR Strategy.
- Must be continually aware of expansion implications and work to allow for easy future expansion of this strategy to MIL's parent company, Morguard Corp, and its affiliates.
Skills & Qualifications:
- University degree
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of corporate responsibility and sustainability. Formal training in the area a plus.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in the corporate responsibility and sustainability field with proven implementation experience.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong budgeting and costing skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong investigative, analytical, and problem solving abilities with sound judgment required to identify and conceptualize alternatives and recommend possible solutions in the absence of established precedents.
- Ability to handle multiple planned and unplanned initiatives, roles and responsibilities.
- Ability to effectively manage cross-functional teams to implement solutions developed.
- Strong change management skills.
- Research and information synthesis skills.
- Real estate industry specific experience a plus.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills.
- Organizational skills.
- Ability to work in Canada.
Interested applicants are welcome to contact Derek Billsman at email@example.com no later than February 6, 2009